The first land purchaser in the Arana Hills district was Henry St John Bridgeman in November 1863. The land was bounded in part by Kedron Brook and Dawson Parade. It then became the property of William McCullum Park, who in turn sold it to the Patrick family at the turn of the century.
The first subdivision was in 1937, named Patricks Estate with the central road named Grove Avenue. The lots were 1-2 acres. 22 years later, Camden Park Estate, being 88 acres (36 ha) of other adjoining land formerly occupied by the Patrick family, was subdivided by Willmore and Randell. Prior to selling in 1958 there were many problems of both access and water supply for which that firm agreed to provide some of the finance to the Pine Shire Council. As a result, the first of the small block housing estates in the shire was a reality.
What's in a name?
There was consideration of many possible names before Mrs Pam Cory suggested that as Arana was a word for welcome, this would be appropriate. Some years later, a newcomer claimed the word Orana was "welcome" and that Arana was the word for Moon. Without anything more than an unsuccessful cursory check of available dictionaries of Aboriginal words, the subtitled meaning was featured in the 1978 Arana Hills logo design. Because there was no written language of the Aboriginal people, the naming words were written by the Europeans as they interpreted hearing the sounds. It was the opinion of a recent seminar speaker the the vowels are not important in the native language, only the consonants. the word Urana, Orana or Arana, could all mean welcome.
Camden park, the small triangular area at the end of Bringelly Street, retains the name as a reminder of earlier years. Mr George Willmore, the real estate developer, named many of the streets in the central Arana Hills subdivision in memory of the area around Sydney where he lived. (The above information was sourced from Wikipedia)
Back to 50 years